Thursday, September 13, 2007

First Day of School



First Day of Kindergarten - 9/13/2007

I can hardly believe my little boy started school today. He was ready and excited to go at 9 o'clock this morning, it took some patience on everyone's parts to wait until it was time to go at 12 o'clock. We walked there together as a family.




Maybe just a little nervous.


The path through a natural area behind our neighborhood. The school is only about 1/2 to 3/4's of a mile away.

There was enough activity going on as we were waiting for school to start that I was able to hold off any tears that may have come. We drop him off right at an outside door to his classroom, so nice. Josh even got cornered by another mom to volunteer for a time slot running games at the Fall Festival on the 28th. I guess that will be a good way to meet people! The adaptive resource teacher came to help him out for the first 1/2 hour which was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Josh then went out to do some job searching and I relaxed in a very quiet house while Cason napped. The big snafu of the day came when it was time to go pick him up. I had planned on driving back so I could be there in plenty of time to meet him. I got Cason up and started searching for my van keys. Can't find them so I start looking for my purse thinking that's probably where they were. After some frantic searching I call Josh and ask if he knows where my purse is, he quietly says in my truck. Oh No! I take off walking as fast as I can with Cason in my arms, my Ergo was also locked in the van, so no hands free carrying for me. Luckily, even though I was sweaty and panting I made it to the school with time to spare. In fact more than enough time to experience how surreal the moment was standing in the midst of parents helloing and making plans, all the while I'm thinking how crazy it is that we just got to town a week ago and I'm standing there waiting for my son after his first day of kindergarten. It'll all have to hit me later.

His first day went great. His teacher said he did well. They went to the library today and he got to bring home a book. Sounds like his favorite part of the day was computer time as she said that was the station that he didn't want to be done with. She said the visual schedule for each day is written on the board, and that she was going to make a copy for him to have on his desk so he can reference it throughout the time there. I know he'll do awesome once he gets the routine down. He told me he met some new kids and I forgot to mention that we were told on Tuesday that there is another family who just moved from Indiana and they have a little girl who is in his class. Hopefully we'll meet them soon.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like the first day was a wonderful success! I'm so glad! I love the pictures.

tara said...

I'm so glad Jonah's first day went well! I can't believe he's in kindergarten! It's nice that the school is so close to your house, everyone sounds so nice and helpful! So glad all the prayers were answered.

Anonymous said...

Those were great pictures, Amy. How cool that you have a path so close to your house! He'll have such fond memories of those walks together...