Monday, September 10, 2007

Need some specific prayers on something. The school system here is suggesting that Jonah start kindergarten. I wasn't planning on it until next year, but he is of age here in Colorado. The public preschool is resisting taking him because he meets the cutoff for kindergarten and I'm afraid most private preschools would be the same. I'm told the school he'd go to is very good and has resources for autistic kids. The would follow his current IEP for 30 days and then reassess his needs and add more support if needed. It would be an afternoon program, after lunch (one of my biggest worries for him). Would it be a big deal that he didn't start at the same time as the other kids?

I've only looked into private preschools briefly and the cost is high, but I'm sure I could do more research on this. I also have the name of the principal at the public school so I'll likely call tomorrow to talk to him and try to set up a time to come in and see what it would be like.

Jonah's been doing really well lately, amazingly well. I don't want to hold him back if it is time, but I also don't want to rush him if he's not ready.

Thoughts??

1 comment:

A Bishops Wife said...

Just wanted to say hello. I just came across your blog. My little autistic one is due home from school any time. The school system is a pain!