Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Revival

Yesterday I was reading my sister's blog. I love that she writes so consistently. As I was reading a recent post about my nephew, I thought to myself how thankful I was that she writes because I feel like I know who my nephews and niece are, even though we live so far away. Then I thought about how she probably misses hearing about my guys since I haven't posted anything since last December. It's June and I just updated the header to say Dengler's 2010 instead of 2009, that's how neglected this space has been. So I thought I'd give it a try again.

I've been mulling over what I could write about today.

I guess I'll start by asking for allies. I'm feeling pretty desperate these days. Lonely. I'm praying for friends, a support system, engaging relationships. For me, for Josh and for our boys. We do have some friends, but there is something still missing. So I'm doing the work and keeping my eyes open.

We're having a hard time with Cason. Admittedly this is nothing new. We've just come to the point where we know we need to be proactive at turning things around, especially since he'll be going to kindergarten in the fall. He has very little self confidence which manifests itself in extreme stubbornness and explosive tantrums. We've spent far too long living in fear of the explosions and have been making poor decisions to try and avoid them. Part of the problem is having an older brother who lives in a very black and white world and has repeatedly corrected and overruled Cason's freethinking creativity. Part of the problem is from me not wanting to let him stop being my baby. He's always been small and cuddly. I grieved for so long the loss of having any other children that I didn't push him to grow up. But he's five now and in many ways he only has the maturity of a three year old. He has such a fearless personality, but increasingly he's choosing to reject new experiences and things asked of him in favor of a tantrum. This morning I took him to a tumbling class. He's been excited about it every since I told him I had signed him up. He's so physical with his body right now, climbing everything he can so this seemed like a good thing for him. He went into the class with enthusiasm but not a minute later the teacher brought him out. She had asked him his name and he threw a fit. She told us we could watch from a window for a bit and if he decided he wanted to rejoin the class he could. He refused to give it a chance, so we left. Disappointed.

Ironically, as I'm writing this I just received a phone call from a therapist who does social play groups for children. We had contacted her months ago for Jonah. At the time money was way too tight, but also she waits until she has the right mix of children. The right group may be forming for Jonah. I also asked about Cason's age and she has a five year old group that is ready for a new member as well. I love when God arranges these things. Either way I feel encouraged. She was very reassuring that due to our circumstances it's perfectly natural that Cason is who he is. I know it's not the answer to everything, but it could help.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hooray! I'm so excited!!! Yes, I would love reading about my nephews and about what's on your heart. Thank you for being so transparent in this post. I completely understand about the lonliness and the need for authentic relationships. I feel the exact same way right now. I wish I could be more like Matthew, who made a friend within five minutes at the beach last weekend. But as adults, it doesn't work that way. Our marriage counselor encouraged me to get involved in some activities that foster what I enjoy and allow the relationships to happen naturally. I'm going to give it a try. And I will pray that God will send just the right person or people into your lives as well.

As for Cason, I admire your candidness and believe you are on the right track. Admitting that something needs to change is the right first step. I'll pray that God will give you wisdom to know what steps need to be taken and that you'll see some improvement.

Love you Amy! I can't wait to hear more...

Kari said...

Amy,
Please keep writing! I'm all about honesty and authenticity and I felt like I received both from this post. Consider yourself...followed. =)