Monday, March 30, 2009

Enough already!

We all have limits, right? But what happens if you are stretched past your limit? Doesn't your limit just stretch a little farther? It has to, right? The alternative is just too scary.

I'm just putting this out there because I think we're just about at our limit and I am on my knees trying to survive. It's been a rough couple months. Lots of fighting between the boys and from them to us and all our best efforts to hold the peace are not really working. I wake up every day feeling like I'm going into battle.

Both boys have taken to being physically rough with me when they are angry. Jonah adds verbally abusive language to his anger. Cason just screams, hits me and sometimes tries to bite me. We even had a phase of hearing "I hate you" daily. From a six year old. What in the world am I doing wrong that deserves that? Thankfully he seems to have realized how truly horrible it is to tell someone you hate them, but I still get called names daily, told that I'm mean, that I'm bad. Sometimes it falls into the funny...yesterday Jonah tried to insult Josh by telling him that he was young and ridiculous. We're not perfect, but we do not talk to the boys or each other like that. I'm waving the white flag. We do automatic time outs for physical anger, but it's not changing the behavior.

If you're wondering what's setting this off, here's an example. I was in the kitchen a moment ago, putting some dishes away. Jonah asked me what was for dinner. I said lasagna. He started yelling at me that he wouldn't eat that. Lasagna is in his "foods i like" book. Something we tried to get him to engage in the idea of eating more than just pizza, chicken nuggets, tacos, Pb & J, and hot dogs. By some miracle a few months back we actually got him to try lasagna and surprise...he liked it. But today he's yelling at me, "Lasagna is already in my foods I like book!" "I don't have to eat it again!" Pizza is also in the foods I like book, so it's not like once something goes in he never has to eat it again. So he's yelling and I'm still at the sink, so he comes over and starts head butting me on my lower back, it hurts. I took him to the time out chair and then started crying out of frustration. He asked me why I was crying and I said it was because he had hurt me on my back and his response was to tell me I was hurting his feelings by crying.

This was last night. This morning is no better. From the moment they woke up the boys were fighting. Jonah decided he was too tired to get dressed...it goes on. To add to that Rio is sick. Josh is on the phone with the vet now. We sent Tina back to the rescue people. She was overwhelming me anyway, but I thought it was safest if she went back so she didn't end up getting sick too.

We need your prayers.

1 comment:

Terry Dengler said...

Praying for you guys this morning and for Rio.