Monday, May 25, 2009

Gym teacher fail

I have wonderful memories of field day. It was the end of the school year and it was a day of running and being free. Usually there was water of some sort involved. And suckers. I don't know why but from my kindergarten memories the two things that stick out are tater tots and big red suckers on field day. I'd sit there eating my sucker while they announced all the summer birthdays over the loud speaker. "And last but not least...July 31st...Amy Hostetler." I can't quite figure out now why my birthday was the last one, surely there would have been other birthdays in August before the start of the school year. But that's how I remember it. The other great part of field day were the ribbons. Everyone got a ribbon. Oh sure, maybe the blue ones where better, but getting a yellow or green one still felt pretty special. The blue one's would say 1st place, but the yellow or green ones would say something equally as great like "great effort" or "most improved".

At Jonah's school field day for the 1st and 2nd graders was last Thursday. I didn't get to attend, but Jonah seemed to have really enjoyed it. Favorite part for him..Tug of War. I think times have changed and there are no sticky treats associated with field day anymore...too bad. Jonah did not come home with a ribbon. I really wish I could scan his "award". What he came home with was a piece of green card stock titled "Field Day Certificate' To the right there is a clip art picture of a heron or stork sitting in some reeds. Next to that it says "A stork brought me the good news. You did a great job today!" "Thanks for all of your hard work this year and remember that PE is important for everyone!" Signed Coach J. Umm, stork? Is it just me, aren't stork's usually associated with bringing news of a new baby?

I can just picture the stork union.

"Louie, you're headed to California, the Johnson's are having a girl!"
"Sally, off to New York, the Smith's are having a boy!"
"Clarence, you're on special assignment to Colorado, deliver the news to Coach J, his 1st graders did a great job on field day."

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Is the stork the school mascot?? Too funny.

Amy said...

No the school mascot is the wildcat. Wouldn't it have been much better to say a wildcat brought the news?