Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Rough morning
We haven't figured out the trigger to it but there seems to be days where Jonah just digs in his heels and refuses to do anything we ask of him. This morning is a school day for Jonah. He loves going to school but today was a little different. Today was their Thanksgiving program so we didn't have to be there until ten o'clock. I don't know if he could tell the difference or not but it was all I could do to get him out the door. We got there and the program was great, he was wonderful, very animated singing the songs and I beamed with pride. There was a juice and cookies time in their main meeting room and that's when things really started breaking down. He started getting wound up and chasing and shoving some of the other kids. I was there by myself and holding Cason so there wasn't much I could do to settle him or remove him from the situation. Luckily Mrs. G saw this happening and got down to talk to him which settled him enough for me to convince him to go with me to get his coat. Once his coat was on though he refused to leave. I figured he was having a hard time because the routine of their day was completely gone so I suggested he hang out with Mrs. Graber for a little while. I asked her if she would mind watching him while I got my van and I could drive up for pick up like they do every day. She understood and we were able to go. He was still upset though. I let him know we were going to the post office because if I don't go the same way home from school he gets very upset. I thought letting him know in advance would help. It didn't. He freaked out when I passed the road we normally take and told me I had to go back, actually begged me to go back. I reminded him we were going to the post office and luckily there was a big shiny green semi truck behind us, so that appeased him a bit. When we got to the post office he wanted to stand by the wall where they have little trinkets for sale. I usually just let him hang out by that wall until I'm done waiting in line and ready to go and usually by then he's ready to go too. Not today, he again refused to leave. This time I didn't have a friendly preschool teacher to help me out either. So I tried every trick in the book. Nothing worked. After about ten minutes, the guy behind the counter took pity on me and offered me a sheet of stickers "if I needed a carrot to dangle in front of him". I thanked him profusely and did just that. Jonah was not grateful, and only became demanding about them, I gave him one sticker for getting in the van, though even that felt like too much of a reward. It's days like these that we just don't know what to do or what we're going to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment