Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Jonah's been having a hard time lately. Things haven't been bad, per se, but I can tell he's struggling. He's gone back to lining up his matchbox cars. Every morning he gets up and pulls the same cushion off the couch and lines his cars up in the opening. He hasn't done this in a long time. The book I was reading called it matchbox car art. A way of playing with cars that's not really playing, just making lines, that to him are very important. He's also being more argumentative, only I don't think he means to be. He repeats my warnings back to me. We had to ask him four or five times today if it was good to obey. He kept saying no and laughing. It sounds very frustrating, doesn't it? It's very hard to differenciate between his deliberate disobediance (if it really is deliberate) and a lapse in his understanding of right and wrong. He's not focused. He's mentioned school a couple times, so I'm suspecting it's what's causing his struggles. I have an appointment with their pediatrician for June 9th to talk about his autism. I had made an appointment with her last fall and we didn't make it. We, at first, weren't super concerned with getting a medical diagnosis but are now more interested in what that may offer. We just don't want to waste the gift of knowing early and get five or ten years down the road and wish we had done more when he was younger. It's all still very confusing at times. I still catch myself mentally reminding myself that he has autism every day. He is such an amazing little person. When he laughs you can't help yourself from laughing with him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate!!!!! With out school Cristian is lost. His whole routine is messed up now. It is very hard to help him understand the whole summer vacation thing when he doesn't even understand what is going on now. I find myself reminding him every morning. He has always been anxious somewhat on breaks from school. It's amazing how much they rely on that consistancy. Maybe we can help each other.