Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Autism support group

We went to the local autism support group for the first time last night. I really don't have much to say about it though. It was interesting and we did get some info on other resources to look into too. Most of the parents had high school age children. It seemed like their kids had been diagnosed later and maybe they had more issues because of that. When we introduced ourselves they all agreed that it was great that we had an early diagnosis and could start getting support right away. There wasn't much time to just talk with the other parents. Next month is going to be more informal, allowing for conversations so we'll go back then. The subject of discipline did come up briefly and it seems that it's still an issue even when the child is older. We didn't get to ask specifically what people did when their children were younger.

The autism specialist from ECSEC had offered to meet with us so I'm planning on calling today to set something up. Things have been tough around here lately. I think that's mostly coming from Josh and I processing how we feel about all of this. We're not always on the same page.

Five days till we leave for Colorado! The weather forecast says it's supposed to rain while we're there. What are the chances? I'm holding out hope that it'll be wrong and we'll get to experience some glorious Colorado sunshine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it wasn't the greatest time, I hope the informal meeting turns out to be more informative/helpful. yay for Colorado--I hope you all have a wonderful time!!